Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Boxer on ANWR

I was on my way home this afternoon and heard Sen. Boxer (D-CA) on the Ed Shultz show talking about the ANWR vote tomorrow morning. Apparently, the Dems are one vote short of blocking the drilling bill. So they'll be working through the night to secure the vote. Let's hope they can find it.

Boxer also mentioned that there is only enough oil in the ANWR area to satisfy our nation's oil thirst for 6 months. So the GOP wing nuts are trying again, as they have been for years, to open a beautiful pristine area (originally guarded for protection by Eisenhower, a Republican) for industrial oil drilling for 6 measly months of potential oil.

If you ask me, there's some deals cut somewhere. This isn't about energy independence, or boosting our reserves, or any of the other idiotic excuses you've heard from the Right. This is about short term profit for some insiders. That's just my hunch, but with oil prices exploding, a 6 month supply isn't going to drive them down any, and that could potentially mean a tidy little profit for whatever company greases its way into the ANWR drilling area. If I'm really off base with that, let me know. I have no factual evidence, just the hunch backed up by the fact that everything this administration/government does is somehow crappy for the average guy and beneficial to the crony insiders they call friends.